Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- If you use marijuana or any of its derivatives (THC, Delta-8, edibles, etc), please inform your doctor as it can make sedation or anesthesia unsafe. You most avoid using these substances for one week prior to any anesthetic.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have stomach issues or upset bowels please notify the office to reschedule your surgery.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Drs. Carvalho, Hutchinson, Tentinger or Zarbano prior to your surgical date for instructions.